Re: USB Host-Host cables

On 06/15/2018 09:06 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Friday 15 June 2018 06:37:57 Richard Owlett wrote:

On 06/14/2018 08:54 AM, Dan Ritter wrote:
On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 02:50:51PM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
and now you can access the other side via ssh and scp and
whatever.

I've never used either "ssh" or "scp". *THEREFORE* I believe I have
a reading assignment <grin>. After all, that was essentially what I
was asking for :}

I just picked them as common tools for logging in across IP
networks and moving files around. All of the Internet Protocol
is open to you, just as with any other ethernet-equivalent
interface.

OK. I looked at the man pages for both. The focus on secure
communication is, in *MY* case, is an undesired complication. Some
preliminary web searches helped me to better describe my setup.

The two machines are about a cubit apart.
The USB Host-Host cable and related software addresses the physical
connection.
The second machine has no physical means to access the web. Thus
removing the need for "secure" communication.

Are you saying this second  machine has no rj54 for a network cable?

<*ROFL*>
All computing objects on site physically have such a connector.
Are they connected to functional silicon?  ?? ??? ;/
IIUC there are two different types of connecting cables.
    [One is topological equivalent of null modem].
Which are present? WHO knows ;/
All computing objects have physically accessible know functional USB ports.

I did my homework.
I discovered that USB-ethernet adapters existed.
That gave me a choice between *3* failure points [either converter PLUS cable] and *EXACTLY ONE* failure point [a USB master - USB master cable assembly].

If you wish to chuckle, see thread beginning at [https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2018/05/msg01073.html].

Then that leaves a serial port, or possibly a usb to serial at the 2nd's
location. This is a bit unusual,

<chuckle>

 but between a linux or windows pc, and
an old trs-80 color computer, has been done. The software is called
drivewire,

Can Linux outperform Radio Shack? <chuckle>
I am not familiar with drivewire.
So I just did a web search yielding interesting hits.
I suspect they will fill in some gaps in my background. I took my 1st programming course as an E.E. student in the 60's. Since then my background might be termed eclectic ( more accurately random ;) .

 and it adds 14 i/o channels good for 115k kilobit speeds.
This includes a channel dedicated for printing text, which I wrote a
script for to pass it off to cups, a channel for general midi use, and
which can be handed off to timidity, and 14 more channels which can be
used as text terminals, or disk drives, including the ability to "mount"
an  image of the coco's file system as if it was another floppy drive,
but can be a 130 megabyte file.
Just reading the DuckDuckGo results page caused me to realize that at
an application level I'll want a client-server relationship [I haven't
addressed the issue of which should be which.]

My search string was [ +"linux" +host" +"ip network" ].
It gave many attractive links.
As a major motivation for this project is educational, can you suggest
sources or search terms to survey:

common tools for logging in across IP networks and moving files
around.

Drivewire facilitates all that. Its GPL, written in jave so it should be
pretty portable. But for machines other than the coco's, will need
substitutes written for its output modules. On the coco's it runs over
the bit banger port, so any machine with a bit banging serial port would
be a candidate to become a drivewire client.

Thank you