Re: Upgrading with a low data cap

Hello Richard.  I honor the help you have given to other users on this List.  Good work!

On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 9:49 PM Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
On 10/08/2018 06:23 PM, David wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 at 06:25, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
>>
>> I have no LAN.
>>
>> I've a low cap.
>
> Using the word "cap" suggests that you have an internet service provider.

True

> How do you connect to that service provider?

The same way as for decades via a "modem" (quotation marks significant).
That was not how my ISP describes it. T-mobile sells it as a WiFi
Hotspot which is served by the cell network [the WiFi is turned off].

T-Mobile is the company I use for my Cell Service.  When my area of Carrboro, NC received spotty T-Mobile Reception, they "provided me", with no cost, a two-piece Gadget, to enhance Cell Service in my area.  (Of course, my Broadband situation is different, as I have Spectrum (formerly Time Warner Cable).  I actually have a reasonable relationship with T-Mobile Support.

Are you using a "Tether-like" scenario, called a "Mobile Hotspot" for your Internet access?  (I do this when I travel).

When my former ISP discontinued dial-up service I chose not to use a
connection that physically restricted me to a physical point of service.

> What is the make and model of the equipment that provides the connection
> to that service provider?

The manufacturer is Alcatel. No model number is visible.

Wow!  Not even fine print?

> How do you connect your computer to that equipment?

USB port.

Actual Tethering?

> How many ethernet ports, if any, does that equipment have?

None.

Wow!

Anyway, I feel your pain, as one who has tried to access Networks in rural areas.

How is your Home Phone Service?

Thank you and best regards,

Kenneth Parker