Re: messages from GNU screen always in English

https://www.mycause.com.au/page/183259/a-smile-will-change-a-day-love-that-changed-my-world

From: davidson <davidson@freevolt.org>
Sent: Thursday, 9 August 2018 11:17 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: messages from GNU screen always in English

It seems that regardless of my locale (LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8,
LANG=de_DE.UTF-8, LANG=ru_RU.UTF-8, etc), messages from GNU screen are
always in English.

Has anyone else noticed this, or am I doing something wrong?

For the record, the following briefly illustrates what I do (for
example):

  $ export LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8 ; screen # set locale for tty and start screen
  $ exit # quit screen session
  [screen is terminating]

The termination message above illustrates the unexpected behavior I am
talking about.

Also for the record:

  $ locale -a
  C.UTF-8
  de_DE.utf8
  en_US.utf8
  fr_CA.utf8
  fr_FR.utf8
  POSIX
  ru_RU.utf8

(By contrast, screen's ":time" command *does* obey the locale, though
it displays non-ascii characters incorrectly, and as far as I know
that is a different issue, possibly worth another thread.)

--
  The day will come              |  Last words, August Spies (1855--1887).
  When our silence will be       |  Hanged, by the state of Illinois,