Re: messages from GNU screen always in English

On Thu, Aug 09, 2018 at 01:17:29PM +0000, davidson wrote:
It seems that regardless of my locale (LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8,
LANG=de_DE.UTF-8, LANG=ru_RU.UTF-8, etc), messages from GNU screen are
always in English.

Has anyone else noticed this, or am I doing something wrong?

For the record, the following briefly illustrates what I do (for
example):

$ export LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8 ; screen # set locale for tty and start screen
$ exit # quit screen session
[screen is terminating]

The termination message above illustrates the unexpected behavior I am
talking about.

Also for the record:

$ locale -a
C.UTF-8
de_DE.utf8
en_US.utf8
fr_CA.utf8
fr_FR.utf8
POSIX
ru_RU.utf8

(By contrast, screen's ":time" command *does* obey the locale, though
it displays non-ascii characters incorrectly, and as far as I know
that is a different issue, possibly worth another thread.)

--
The day will come              |  Last words, August Spies (1855--1887).
When our silence will be       |  Hanged, by the state of Illinois,

"screen is terminating" is only found in one place in the screen source code, namely at [screen.c:1824][1]. It's wrapped by the function AddStr() which is defined at [display.c:2946][2] and which appears to merely be concerned with encoding, rather than translating the string provided.

So, in summary, "screen is terminating" is hard-coded in english, and you should probably raise a wishlist bug requesting it be translated/translatable.

[1] https://sources.debian.org/src/screen/4.6.2-3/screen.c/?hl=1824#L1824
[2] https://sources.debian.org/src/screen/4.6.2-3/display.c/?hl=2946#L2946

--
For more information, please reread.