Re: Running of rrequested tests - [was Re: Backup problem using "cp"]

On 2018-05-09 at 16:20, David Wright wrote:

> On Tue 08 May 2018 at 22:39:55 (-0400), The Wanderer wrote:

>> What method are you using to delete it?
>>
>> If you haven't already, I'd recommend trying 'rm -r', *very*
>> carefully, from a command prompt. (Unless you have an extremely
>> unusual setup, that should avoid any possibility of an intermediary
>> "Trash" to need emptying.)
>
> As you're deleting a chain of directories, the appropriate command is
> rmdir.

When I initially wrote that, I didn't know that the chain of directories
didn't contain any non-directory items. (In fact, I'm still not 100%
certain I do know that, although I think I do.)

I also wasn't aware that rmdir could operate recursively; looking now, I
don't see any indication in its man page that it can. Without that, it
can only be used to delete one directory at a time, not "a chain of
directories". Even your own solution handles the "chain" part by using
find - which admittedly is the canonical default-correct way of doing
recursive operation in an *nix environment, but also adds a layer of
complexity not present in a simple 'rm -r'.

--
   The Wanderer