Re: No sound in Firefox

On Thu 15 Mar 2018 at 13:37:36 (+0100), tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 08:24:14AM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 11:13:42AM +0100, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > I seriously doubt they would accept a patch to restore the ALSA
> > features that they intentionally removed with the goal of not having
> > to support multiple audio output backends.
>
> The discussion sounded as if they just hadn't the bandwidth to cope
> with another backend: so a credible offer seems still out...
>
> > I don't use Pulse Audio either, and have no intention of doing so in
> > the near future.  If Firefox doesn't support ALSA, then I will not be
> > listening to audio in Firefox.
>
> As I do...
>
> > I still have Google-Chrome installed,
> > and I use that for the rare occasion when I want to watch/listen to a
> > YouTube submission.
>
> Eeek :-)
>
> For me, it's youtube-dl and cclive. I'm fine with my browser not
> being able to make noise. On the contrary, the less the browser
> is capable of, the better...
>
> Including not mining cryptocurrency for other people :-)

Yes, I prefer to download any videos I actually want to play.
I would also prefer not to have them play silently either.
The recent thread "WTF does Firefox 58?" touched on this
but wasn't very specific, with a reference to
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-stop-firefox-making-automatic-connections
(lots of different features in here), but the referrer said they
hadn't tried these methods anyway. Any ideas?

(I'm assuming what plays is not flash, as I *think* I have
no flash available to this particular system's browser.)

Cheers,
David.