Re: [Diagnostic Summary] Re: Strange message during boot

On Thu, 11 Jan 2018, Richard Owlett wrote:

> On 01/11/2018 11:35 AM, bw wrote:
> > [snip]
> > Sounds complicated, one version of grub but
> > separate boot partitions always gets me confused too.
>
> Not sure best solution.
> But I'm used to it and have not discovered any potholes. YET ;/
> I've had it that way since Squeeze in order to force update-grub to be
> run-able from only one environment.
> At the time I was doing multiple install in a day to experiment with package
> complement and configurations.

Well, I admit I do the same thing on one machine.  I have jessie, stretch
with fluxbox, and stretch with kde and I hate it when I upgrade a kernel
and get grub menu inconsistent so i purged grub pkg on two of them.  I
have used chroot in the past in an emergency to update-initramfs, but this
setup is pretty solid with an edited 40-custom file on the grub machine.

I'm thinking a common /boot partition would be easier but not sure how to
set that up.