Re: [Diagnostic Summary] Re: Strange message during boot

On 01/11/2018 01:28 PM, bw wrote:

On Thu, 11 Jan 2018, Richard Owlett wrote:

On 01/11/2018 11:35 AM, bw wrote:
[snip]
Sounds complicated, one version of grub but
separate boot partitions always gets me confused too.

Not sure best solution.
But I'm used to it and have not discovered any potholes. YET ;/
I've had it that way since Squeeze in order to force update-grub
to be run-able from only one environment.
At the time I was doing multiple install in a day to experiment
with package complement and configurations.

Well, I admit I do the same thing on one machine.  I have jessie,
stretch with fluxbox, and stretch with kde and I hate it when I
upgrade a kernel and get grub menu inconsistent so i purged grub
pkg on two of them.  I have used chroot in the past in an emergency
to update-initramfs, but this setup is pretty solid with an edited
40-custom file on the grub machine.

Any pointers to a good tutorial on NN-custom files?

I'm thinking a common /boot partition would be easier but not sure
how to set that up.

I've seen mention of effectively a minimalist kernel and *ONLY* those packages required for Grub to function. Never found directions for setting one up. I don't know if a common /boot partition would work on one of my machines with Windows and a arbitrary collection of Linux vendors.