Re: [Diagnostic Summary] Re: Strange message during boot

On Thu, 11 Jan 2018, The Wanderer wrote:

> On 2018-01-11 at 12:10, Richard Owlett wrote:
>
> > I multi-boot several varieties of Debian.
> > When booting one specific install, it displays many repetitions of:
> >
> > It then proceeds to bring up an apparently normal system.
>
> > Suggested diagnostics yielded:
> >
> >> root@stretch-2nd:~# ls -l /sbin/init
> >> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Jun  4  2017 /sbin/init -> /lib/systemd/systemd
> >> root@stretch-2nd:~#
>
> Not particularly unexpected. (This also obviates any need to 'dlocate
> /sbin/init', since it confirms which init system you're running.)
>
> >> bash: dlocate: command not found
>
> Install it ('apt-get install dlocate'), then try
> 'dlocate scripts/local-block'. If that fails, try running 'updatedb' to
> initialize the search database, then run the command again.

On stretch local_block is a function in a script named local, maybe using
a stretch tool on jessie has things confused?  or the initramfs-tools pkg
is hosed on the bad system.  Sounds complicated, one version of grub but
separate boot partitions always gets me confused too.

grep local_block /usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/local
local_block()
                        local_block "${dev_id}"