Re: how to enable trim for an external encrypted SSD?

On 11/11/2017 02:31 PM, Joerg Desch wrote:
> Am Sat, 11 Nov 2017 14:13:12 +0100 schrieb Christian Seiler:
>
>> Also, did you mount the device with -o discard or set that option with
>> tune2fs (_before_ mounting it)?
>
> No, not now. I want to use fstrim in favour to the discard option. But
> I've tested it with an Arch Linux installation with a more fresh kernel.
> There both vairante (fstrim and discard-option in fstab) fails too. In
> case of the discard option, the error is written to the logs.
>
>> What does the command
>> findmnt | grep /media/jd/TEST
>
> $ findmnt | grep /media/jd/TEST
> ├─/media/jd/TEST                      /dev/sdg1          ext4
> rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,data=ordered
>
> $ sudo lsblk -D
> [sudo] password for jd:
> NAME   DISC-ALN DISC-GRAN DISC-MAX DISC-ZERO
> sda           0      512B       2G         0
> ├─sda1        0      512B       2G         0
> └─sda2        0      512B       2G         0
> sdb           0        0B       0B         0
> sdg           0        0B       0B         0
> └─sdg1        0        0B       0B         0
>

> In this case, sda is a internal SSD (Samsung EVO) with working TRIM and
> sdb is a HDD.

Well, then it appears that the chip (or the kernel driver for it) doesn't
support passing through the TRIM command to the underyling SSD.

If it's the kernel driver there's a chance that'll be fixed in a future
kernel version.

If it's the the chip itself you're stuck without TRIM on the external
SSD.

Unfortunately I can't say much more about that, I've never had an
external SSD.

Regards,
Christian