Re: how to enable trim for an external encrypted SSD?

On 11/11/2017 02:05 PM, Joerg Desch wrote:
> Am Mon, 06 Nov 2017 14:28:32 +0100 schrieb Christian Seiler:
>
>> I don't what you want is possible. When you plug in an external drive
>> (that is _not_ in /etc/fstab etc.) the process of how it gets mounted is
>> different:
>>     tune2fs -o +discard /dev/external_disk_device
>
> My drive has arrived and even a ext4 without LUKS fails to (fs)trim the
> mount! Any idea why?
>
> ~~~~
> $ sudo hdparm -I /dev/sdg1
> 	   *	Data Set Management TRIM supported (limit 8 blocks)
> 	   *	Deterministic read data after TRIM
> $ sudo fstrim /media/jd/TEST
> fstrim: /media/jd/TEST: Verwerfungsvorgang wird nicht unterstützt.
> ~~~~

Maybe the external controller (or at least the driver for the external
controller) that interfaces the SSD with USB (or whatever you're using
to connect it externally to your system) doesn't understand TRIM
properly?

Also, did you mount the device with -o discard or set that option with
tune2fs (_before_ mounting it)?

What does the command

findmnt | grep /media/jd/TEST

say in terms of active filesystem options?

Regards,
Christian