Re: removing of sddm (debian 9 -kde5) to start in console mode then startx to start kde5

Ionel Mugurel Ciobîcă composed on 2017-10-18 20:47 (UTC+0200):

> I never understood the need for desktop managers. I use Debian since
> hamm and Linux/Unix since 1995. My take is that desktop managers are
> for people more used to microsoft OS'. Why do I need to click on
> something when the xterm I type in can call any program I need?...

Finding a wanted app to run from a classified tree list of 30 or 40 or 50 or
more applications is easier for most people than remembering the name and any
required startup options to type, both for those uncommonly used, and even for
the commonly used ones if there are more than a scant few such. 2 or 3 or 4
clicks to start one up is typically easier than typing 4, 5, 6, 7 or more
characters, or searching command history more than a few entries back. It's a
nice bonus in some DEs that automatically remember and reopen apps, their
content states, and their window sizes and positions.

For some, the microscopic default text size and fractional default proportion of
screen area (80x25, using as little as 1/16 or less of total screen space) of
xterm windows impedes their use for anything.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/