Re: removing of sddm (debian 9 -kde5) to start in console mode then startx to start kde5

On 18/10/17 06:56, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 06:42:04PM +0100, Brian wrote:
>
>>  https://forums.mageia.org/en/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8737
>
> So it's deprecated in Mageia GNU/Linux?  OK.  If I were a Mageia user (or
> had ever heard of it before today) that might carry some weight with me.
>
> Just curious, what are Mageia users expected to use instead of startx if
> they want to start a traditional X session from a console?  Or is that
> no longer a supported configuration at all?  (By traditional, I mean
> a ~/.xsession or ~/.xinitrc file that contains "exec twm" or whatever
> window manager you prefer.)
>
> Did they simply throw every window manager under the bus and say "Nope,
> sorry, you gotta run a desktop environment now"?

Now I'm curious - assuming Mageia has deprecated startx, how does that
impact using a plain window manager? It's perfectly possible to run twm
or whatever when logging in to a display manager, no? I'm sure I used to
do that with xdm and icewm.

Richard