Re: Suitable text editor [NOT word processor] or workaround?

On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 9:01 AM, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:

> The ability to edit the copy buffer in a different tab, doing a buffer
> wide edit to change the axis references in the buffer, so that those
> edits are done and stand a chance of being correct when the main buffer
> has been scrolled to the point where the just edited buffer is to be
> pasted back into the main file.
>
> If such an editor exists, I'll take it for a walk. But editors that
> require more than 2 fingers to accomplish the copy/paste need not apply.
> Same for editors whose fonts are stick figures one pixel wide and can't
> be changed to something like "hack, bold".

If I understand your workflow correctly, you might find the NrrwRgn
plugin[1] for vim very useful.

Say you have a very long file and would like to edit just 2-3
paragraphs in it but keep the rest of the file untouched. You can open
the file in vim, visually select the paragraphs to be edited (by V)
and  then press :nr . This will open a new buffer with the selected
lines. Once you make all the edits in the new buffer -> save -> close,
the changes will automatically be integrated into the original file.
You can then review the changes and save the original file.

[1] Stable version of the plugin can be downloaded from
https://vim.sourceforge.io/scripts/script.php?script_id=3075

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi | http://raju.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Blog