Re: Suitable text editor [NOT word processor] or workaround?

On Wednesday 06 September 2017 00:09:31 kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 7:37 AM, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net>
wrote:

> >> Whilst this is very frustrating, one other thing it tells me is you
> >> need to set up a backup system (although you are quite right to
> >> abandon gedit based on your experiences)
> >
> > I do, I am a very longtime user of amanda, since 1998 TBE. I've
> > never contaminated my thinking with a windows install, going from a
> > coco3 with nitros9, to amigados, to linux at RH-5.0. amanda does all
> > 5 of these machines every night at about 1:20 AM and it got used all
> > 3 times. The problem with that is that the status of the backup was
> > 15 to 20 hours old, so I lost that days work and had to re-invent
> > that particular batch of work.
>
> FWIW, I also thought that you lost 6 months of work based on what you
> wrote initially. Happy to hear that the damage is much less. But even
> that can be very frustrating, right?
>
> Along with the backups, may I suggest you to store all your work in
> version control such as git so that even if the editor crashes, you
> can recover everything up until the last commit.

I have considered something along those lines, but mentally I can't seem
to make the coupling between a single file that has to be ready to go
anytime I run linuxcnc -l (where the -l says to use the same config it
used the last time) and a git database that usually has to be compiled
before its capable of running.  Normally we keep a separate directory
for each machine configuration, although there may be N parallel
directories as the configuration is developed. A milling machine may
start out with 3 axis's of motion, and may have up to 9 degrees of
movement freedom as accessories such as a rotating table, which may be
mounted to the xy table with its axis of movement aligned with any of
the other 3 axis's.  Or the actual cutting spindle may get mounted in
such a manner as the be tiltable in both directions so it can reach into
the nooks and crannies.  This is generally geared together
electronically so that the cutting tool is motionless on the workpiece
as it tilts unless you specifically drive it otherwise. This of course
requires very carefull tool length calibrations to pull off well, but
the math to sub-micron accuracy is already modularized.

The total configuration generally is not a single file, usually broken up
according to its order in the programs bootup, first being the basic
config, then the first of what could be 2 or 3 .hal files, some of which
can't be run until the gui is started, then once the gui is drawn, more
gui for accessory tally's, spindle speed/direction, and dials to replace
the cranks that no longer exist, usually written in xml or pyvcp, or
gladevcp is done, which adds the "hal pins" that connect the machine gui
to the machine. It can get complex.  This most recent lathe has over
1200 lines of code just in the configuration files.  And I still do not
have any coolant or lube facilities under control.  Stuff I have yet to
build or buy. :)

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)