Re: Suitable text editor [NOT word processor] or workaround?

On 06.09.17 02:31, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 September 2017 00:09:31 kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
>
> The total configuration generally is not a single file, usually broken up
> according to its order in the programs bootup, first being the basic
> config, then the first of what could be 2 or 3 .hal files, some of which
> can't be run until the gui is started, then once the gui is drawn, more
> gui for accessory tally's, spindle speed/direction, and dials to replace
> the cranks that no longer exist, usually written in xml or pyvcp, or
> gladevcp is done, which adds the "hal pins" that connect the machine gui
> to the machine. It can get complex.  This most recent lathe has over
> 1200 lines of code just in the configuration files.  And I still do not
> have any coolant or lube facilities under control.  Stuff I have yet to
> build or buy. :)

Gene, a version control utility allows you to commit a complete
directory tree of as many config files as you wish, organised as
desired. If we imagine them as source files not requiring compilation
prior to use, then the versioning config repository is not so foreign.

Having used cvs for decades, I am one of the dinosaurs still using it
despite many more modern offerings having replaced it. It can be a pig
if you mistreat it, and subversion is supposed to be better, Git has
followers and detractors. Then there's mercury. I've used the latter two
only very superficially. There'll be more users to advise on these more
current offerings.

A VCS only allows you to retrieve versions which have been checked in,
but that might help if it encourages you to do that immediately at the
end of an editing session, rather than exposing the edits to data loss
during the hours before a midnight backup. And a pre-lunch commit
minimises loss to half a day.

But a simple scp or rsync snapshot to another host might be a quick
stopgap?

Erik