Re: Suitable text editor [NOT word processor] or workaround?

On Wednesday 06 September 2017 03:12:36 Erik Christiansen wrote:

> On 06.09.17 02:31, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Wednesday 06 September 2017 00:09:31 kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
> >
> > The total configuration generally is not a single file, usually
> > broken up according to its order in the programs bootup, first being
> > the basic config, then the first of what could be 2 or 3 .hal files,
> > some of which can't be run until the gui is started, then once the
> > gui is drawn, more gui for accessory tally's, spindle
> > speed/direction, and dials to replace the cranks that no longer
> > exist, usually written in xml or pyvcp, or gladevcp is done, which
> > adds the "hal pins" that connect the machine gui to the machine. It
> > can get complex.  This most recent lathe has over 1200 lines of code
> > just in the configuration files.  And I still do not have any
> > coolant or lube facilities under control.  Stuff I have yet to build
> > or buy. :)
>
> Gene, a version control utility allows you to commit a complete
> directory tree of as many config files as you wish, organised as
> desired. If we imagine them as source files not requiring compilation
> prior to use, then the versioning config repository is not so foreign.
>
> Having used cvs for decades, I am one of the dinosaurs still using it
> despite many more modern offerings having replaced it. It can be a pig
> if you mistreat it, and subversion is supposed to be better, Git has
> followers and detractors. Then there's mercury. I've used the latter
> two only very superficially. There'll be more users to advise on these
> more current offerings.
>
> A VCS only allows you to retrieve versions which have been checked in,
> but that might help if it encourages you to do that immediately at the
> end of an editing session, rather than exposing the edits to data loss
> during the hours before a midnight backup. And a pre-lunch commit
> minimises loss to half a day.
>
> But a simple scp or rsync snapshot to another host might be a quick
> stopgap?
>
> Erik

When I am finished with a particular edit, it gets saved on the spot, and
a test run made immediately so I can fix my inevitable typu's.  The
session is resaved after the typu is fixed, and if that runs ok, then
the editor is closed, usually w/o a final save.  The save is
my "commit".  The close is generally when the added function I was
working on, works as I had it in mind to work. If that function is to be
copy/pasted to another axis, a fresh editing session will be started. I
don't generally add more than 10 to 50 LOC in any one session.

To that copy/paste end, there is one function that could be added to a
good code editor, which may in fact exist but I've not found it yet.

The ability to edit the copy buffer in a different tab, doing a buffer
wide edit to change the axis references in the buffer, so that those
edits are done and stand a chance of being correct when the main buffer
has been scrolled to the point where the just edited buffer is to be
pasted back into the main file.

If such an editor exists, I'll take it for a walk. But editors that
require more than 2 fingers to accomplish the copy/paste need not apply.
Same for editors whose fonts are stick figures one pixel wide and can't
be changed to something like "hack, bold".

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)