Re: Suitable text editor [NOT word processor] or workaround?

On Wednesday 06 September 2017 12:27:37 kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 9:01 AM, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net>
wrote:
> > The ability to edit the copy buffer in a different tab, doing a
> > buffer wide edit to change the axis references in the buffer, so
> > that those edits are done and stand a chance of being correct when
> > the main buffer has been scrolled to the point where the just edited
> > buffer is to be pasted back into the main file.
> >
> > If such an editor exists, I'll take it for a walk. But editors that
> > require more than 2 fingers to accomplish the copy/paste need not
> > apply. Same for editors whose fonts are stick figures one pixel wide
> > and can't be changed to something like "hack, bold".
>
> If I understand your workflow correctly, you might find the NrrwRgn
> plugin[1] for vim very useful.
>
> Say you have a very long file and would like to edit just 2-3
> paragraphs in it but keep the rest of the file untouched. You can open
> the file in vim, visually select the paragraphs to be edited (by V)
> and  then press :nr . This will open a new buffer with the selected
> lines. Once you make all the edits in the new buffer -> save -> close,
> the changes will automatically be integrated into the original file.
> You can then review the changes and save the original file.
>
> [1] Stable version of the plugin can be downloaded from
> https://vim.sourceforge.io/scripts/script.php?script_id=3075

Not exactly what I was describing.  Yes, I'd like to visually select
those lines to be buffered/edited out of a much bigger file, but after
the editing, allow me to select, without any effect of the previously
selected source lines, a new place in the file to insert the edited
buffer into.  So one could snip out a piece of code that refers to axis
X, edit it to do the exact same thing for axis Y, and then re-insert it
into the section of the main file in the same order but in the Y section
to have Y behave as X, but with independent actions from X.  Such things
as accelerations and such, subject to the same rules but affecting a
different axis's motions.

Two basic ways to move a machine, one by servo motors which require a
feedback to tell if the motion commanded is being done at the dynamic
accuracy required, the other by stepper motors which dispense with the
feedback from the motor, but depend on the motor doing precisely what it
was told to do.  This costs less, but has limits to the start and stop
acceleration profiles.  This means they need to have those profiles set
so as to not exceed the motors ability to do it.  Within those limits,
one is as accurate as the other, or can be made so by suitable gear
ratios. The problem with steppers is how fast the drive currents thru
the coils can be changed when the inductance of the coil enters into the
picture.  Well tuned servo's can move several meters a second,
developing good torque at 3 thousand rpms, but steppers are dragging
their tongues on the floor and out of usable torque as low as 10 inches
a minute or 150 rpms.  Only by going to very high voltages, with chopper
regulated coil currents, can some of this be overcome. With that chopper
regulated current comes noise, both acoustical and electrically
radiated.  Noise enough to blow 3.3 volt control circuitry all to hell.

All of which has nothing to do with editors, just intended as background
for some of the problems that have to be solved.  My choice of editor is
one that doesn't play mixmaster with my code on the save. Gedit fails
that test rather miserably and will do it in less than 100 edit
sessions. At which point the whole file looks like a kitchenaide or
mix-master was left to churn the files contents for several hours.
Sometimes its salvageable with several more hours work, more often you
are best calling up amrecover to at least get back what you had at
shutdown last night. Then go looking for a different editor that does
not destroy your days work.  geany hasn't (yet).

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)