Re: pesky and persistent "driverless" Brother MFC-9340CDW

On 08/05/2017 08:52 AM, Brian wrote:
On Fri 04 Aug 2017 at 20:19:33 -0400, Jape Person wrote:

On 08/04/2017 06:39 PM, Brian wrote:

It's sad, isn't it? There must be enough Linux / Unix folks using brother
printers to make it worth Brother's trouble to provide a utility for this. I
guess most environments have either Windows or Mac available, but mine
didn't until I got the little NUC. $300 so I can do firmware upgrades.

Making lemonade, I'll probably try to play some old games on the little box.
There's always a silver lining.

I wonder whether wine would help (with installing the firmware, I mean).

I had that idea back before I purchased the little Windows system. A little alarm is flashing in the back of my mind which is telling me to not even try it.

I know that a publisher I worked for after my retirement from medicine fired an IT guy for doing a BIOS upgrade on a manager's laptop via WINE. The attempt bricked the laptop. In that case, of course, the fellow could have just burned a bootable BIOS update disc and done it the right way. But he insisted that the Windows executable BIOS updater should work through WINE. Since this was the *second* time he had done this, his boss showed him the door and how to use it.

So "CreateIPPPrinterQueues No" makes the ptinter invisible?

As it turned out, I didn't have to edit the config file. Turning off WiFi
Direct made the driverless printer invisible. Is it possible that Brother is
using "WiFi Direct" as a synonym for Bonjour?

I'm unschooled on this stuff, so forgive if the question is dumb!

Bonjour works on cabled and wireless networks, WiFi Direct is wireless
only. I also thought WiFi Direct did not use Bonjour. Mystifying.

You could try activating and de-activating Bonjour on the printer and
looking for the printer in the output of 'avahi-browse -art', You'll
need the avahi-utils package.

I'm saving this information and will hope to get a chance to experiment at some point. I'd like to know more about the features and capabilities of CUPS (and this printer), but I'm a little low on energy and time due to some health issues.

I was pretty tired when I experimented with the AirPrint and WiFi Direct settings. I'm wondering now if I might have failed to restart the printer after I changed the AirPrint setting. Then, later on, turning WiFi Direct off and restarting the printer might have properly instated the change in the AirPrint setting.

Thank you for the additional information.