pesky and persistent "driverless" Brother MFC-9340CDW

A few weeks ago a CUPS upgrade to our Debian testing systems started showing a new driver for our Brother MFC-9340CDW in print dialogs and in the CUPS printer list and in the system-config-printer utility.

You'd think that was good news, but we've been unable to find any way to make the queue for this "driverless" instance of the printer function properly.

The only way we can print with this printer is to do what we were doing before the new "driverless" instance of the printer showed up. We add a printer to the system via system-config-printer or the CUPS Web browser dialog and deliberately select the Brother MFC-9320CW Foomatic or Brother Script-3 driver. (That's not a typo. I'm deliberately choosing a different model.) Both of those PPDs work. I have to provide a deliberately altered name for this instance so users can tell it from the one that doesn't work.

The particularly annoying thing about this situation is that I cannot delete the "driverless" instance of the printer from CUPS / system-config-printer. The instant it is deleted, it is automatically re-detected and added back to the printer list. But anyone who chooses to print to it is going to get a distorted or garbled printout.

I was able to set a policy in the instance so that only root can print to it, so a regular user isn't going to waste time and paper. Still, it would be nicer if I could turn off the advertisement that the printer and the operating system is providing for the "driverless" instance.

I've found nothing in the printer's menu system or in its Web interface that would seem to pertain.

Ideas, anyone?

Thanks,
JP