Re: pesky and persistent "driverless" Brother MFC-9340CDW

On 2017-08-05, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri 04 Aug 2017 at 20:19:33 -0400, Jape Person wrote:
>
>> On 08/04/2017 06:39 PM, Brian wrote:
>>
>> It's sad, isn't it? There must be enough Linux / Unix folks using brother
>> printers to make it worth Brother's trouble to provide a utility for this. I
>> guess most environments have either Windows or Mac available, but mine
>> didn't until I got the little NUC. $300 so I can do firmware upgrades.
>>
>> Making lemonade, I'll probably try to play some old games on the little box.
>> There's always a silver lining.
>
> I wonder whether wine would help (with installing the firmware, I mean).

I was wondering whether a native utility like flashrom could be used for
this. However when I looked at the Brother firmware executable to see
whether the firmware part could be extracted, I found that in fact the
exe file doesn't contain the firmware at all, but rather downloads the
latter from a Brother internet server somewhere in the cloud and then
installs into the printer.

Frankly I would be leery of going through the procedure without a lot of
wine for fear of bricking my device.

--
“Certitude is not the test of certainty.”
--Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.