Re: pesky and persistent "driverless" Brother MFC-9340CDW

On 2017-08-04, Jape Person <japers@comcast.net> wrote:
> A few weeks ago a CUPS upgrade to our Debian testing systems started
> showing a new driver for our Brother MFC-9340CDW in print dialogs and in
> the CUPS printer list and in the system-config-printer utility.
>
> You'd think that was good news, but we've been unable to find any way to
> make the queue for this "driverless" instance of the printer function
> properly.

Just very quickly found this bug that seems to be relevant to your case,
Jape. As you didn't describe the "garbled" condition of your printouts
with the "driverless" driver I can't be sure but it seems a fair guess.

Apparently a resolution dpi error (reported as 600x2dpi--firmware
bug?--and set that way by cups in the PPD.  Workaroundable by modifying
the PPD manually as explained in the thread).

BTW at the Brother site I think they're recommending updating the
firmware for this printer (maybe not for the reasons explicited here).

HTH.

“Certitude is not the test of certainty.”
--Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.