Re: pesky and persistent "driverless" Brother MFC-9340CDW

On Fri 04 Aug 2017 at 12:25:51 +0000, Curt wrote:

> On 2017-08-04, Jape Person <japers@comcast.net> wrote:
> > A few weeks ago a CUPS upgrade to our Debian testing systems started
> > showing a new driver for our Brother MFC-9340CDW in print dialogs and in
> > the CUPS printer list and in the system-config-printer utility.
> >
> > You'd think that was good news, but we've been unable to find any way to
> > make the queue for this "driverless" instance of the printer function
> > properly.
> >

> Just very quickly found this bug that seems to be relevant to your case,
> Jape. As you didn't describe the "garbled" condition of your printouts
> with the "driverless" driver I can't be sure but it seems a fair guess.
>
> Apparently a resolution dpi error (reported as 600x2dpi--firmware
> bug?--and set that way by cups in the PPD.  Workaroundable by modifying
> the PPD manually as explained in the thread).

Definitely a firmware bug; the printer is non-conforming. cups-browsed
puts the incorrect information in the PPD because it queries the printer
and that is what it is told.

> BTW at the Brother site I think they're recommending updating the
> firmware for this printer (maybe not for the reasons explicited here).
>
> HTH.

If the OP has his testing systems up-to-date, he should not be seeing
this bug.

--
Brian.