[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: Live recording

On Thu, 3 Aug 2017, at 16:45, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> Thanks.  But all my 4 microphones terminates in 3.5mm, and the splitter I
> was
> talking about is two 3.5mm female and one 3.5mm male.  Is this you
> mean...?

No.  Look at: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/x1q9MXvjDlM/maxresdefault.jpg

That should show you pictures of two, three and four contact mini jack

A two-contact one is used for one audio channel (the two contacts being
signal & ground).

A three contact one is used for two channels (signal 1, signal 2, and

A four contact one is for three channels (eg on a stereo headset which
has L & R speakers, 
but a single mono microphone) - the four contacts being L, R, mic and

(The tip/ring/sleeve terms that someone else mentioned are names for the
different contacts
on a three-contact jack plug.) 

Which type of plugs do you have on your mics?

On 'professional' equipment it gets a bit more complicated when three
connections are 
used for a single audio channel, being the +ve half of a waveform, the
-ve half, and ground.
(These are known as 'balanced' connections, and typically use either XLR
plugs & sockets
or 3-contact 6.25mm audio jacks.)

Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.

Reply to: