[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: Live recording

Jeremy Nicoll <jn.ml.dbn.25@letterboxes.org> writes:

> On Thu, 3 Aug 2017, at 16:45, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>> Thanks.  But all my 4 microphones terminates in 3.5mm, and the splitter I
>> was
>> talking about is two 3.5mm female and one 3.5mm male.  Is this you
>> mean...?
> No.  Look at: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/x1q9MXvjDlM/maxresdefault.jpg
> That should show you pictures of two, three and four contact mini jack
> plugs.
> A two-contact one is used for one audio channel (the two contacts being
> signal & ground).
> A three contact one is used for two channels (signal 1, signal 2, and
> ground).
> A four contact one is for three channels (eg on a stereo headset which
> has L & R speakers, 
> but a single mono microphone) - the four contacts being L, R, mic and
> ground.
> (The tip/ring/sleeve terms that someone else mentioned are names for the
> different contacts
> on a three-contact jack plug.) 
> Which type of plugs do you have on your mics?

All four my mics, all my headphones, all my adaptors, are all of type 2 in the
picture, where it says `stereo'.

> On 'professional' equipment it gets a bit more complicated when three
> connections are 
> used for a single audio channel, being the +ve half of a waveform, the
> -ve half, and ground.
> (These are known as 'balanced' connections, and typically use either XLR
> plugs & sockets
> or 3-contact 6.25mm audio jacks.)

Many thanks,


Reply to: