Re: Distro redeemable with this fix. [Was: Can "PulseAudio Volume Control" devs be redeemed?]

On 7/23/17, Erik Christiansen <dvalin@internode.on.net> wrote:
> On 23.07.17 13:33, Martin Read wrote:
>> The shared data file describing the default window structure of
>> pavucontrol
>> is /usr/share/pavucontrol/pavucontrol.glade. The corresponding file in
>> the
>> pavucontrol-2.0 (found in Debian jessie) and pavucontrol-3.0 (found in
>> Debian stretch) source trees as downloadable from packages.debian.org
>> appears to have no obviously window-size-affecting changes between the
>> two
>> versions.
>
> Grateful thanks for taking the trouble to find the culprit file. A quick
> look in /usr/share/pavucontrol/pavucontrol.glade reveals the problem, at
> lines 694 and 695:
>
>    <property name="default_width">500</property>
>    <property name="default_height">400</property>
>
> FIX: Change default_width to (minimally) 700 for all 5 tabs to display.
>      (600 displays but 4, 500 displays only 3, as we well know by now.)
>      N.B. A width of 800 may be needed for Martin's case, though.
>
>> pavucontrol also reads the human-readable configuration file
>> /home/USERNAME/.config/pavucontrol.ini to determine what the preferred
>> window size for user USERNAME is. If this file is not present, it is
>> created
>> afresh and the default startup geometry is written to it. On my Debian
>> jessie system, this geometry is 780x400 (which, in the context of the
>> rest
>> of my system configuration, is adequate to make the existence of all five
>> tabs apparent).
>
> On the new 9.0.0 install, it is also 500x400 in ~/.config/pavucontrol.ini,
> and that presents only 3 tabs, as we have discussed. It confirms that
> the window size is as configured at installation - not influenced by any
> user action.
>
>> I haven't upgraded to stretch, because I haven't yet been in the mood to
>> spend an hour or more with my computer switched on but effectively
>> unusable
>> while I perform the upgrade, so I can't comment on the default geometry
>> presented by pavucontrol in stretch.
>
> Understood - I'll refrain from mentioning how old the Debian version on
> this host is. It's all the futzing to put back the 101 bits and pieces
> which provide the familiar environment that sporadically interrupts the
> next few days.
>
> Thank you for providing the means of diagnosis, and thereby the fix.

I just responded to the other part of this thread. Another "fix" might
be that the tabs are "trained" to shrink down in size reflexively
relative to the software package's window size, be it two feet wide..
or teeny tiny tablet........ :)

A fix like this would fal under #usability.. #accessibility (ref: cognition).

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with duct tape *