Re: Can "PulseAudio Volume Control" devs be redeemed?

On 22/07/17 13:20, Erik Christiansen wrote:
What we need to do is examine whether the Debian 9.0.0 distro-smith last
had it shrunken, and it is therefore in that condition in the distro.
If we knew what config file contains the menu gumpf, that could perhaps
be revealed, and minimise the need for speculation and supposition.

The shared data file describing the default window structure of pavucontrol is /usr/share/pavucontrol/pavucontrol.glade. The corresponding file in the pavucontrol-2.0 (found in Debian jessie) and pavucontrol-3.0 (found in Debian stretch) source trees as downloadable from packages.debian.org appears to have no obviously window-size-affecting changes between the two versions.

pavucontrol also reads the human-readable configuration file /home/USERNAME/.config/pavucontrol.ini to determine what the preferred window size for user USERNAME is. If this file is not present, it is created afresh and the default startup geometry is written to it. On my Debian jessie system, this geometry is 780x400 (which, in the context of the rest of my system configuration, is adequate to make the existence of all five tabs apparent).

I haven't upgraded to stretch, because I haven't yet been in the mood to spend an hour or more with my computer switched on but effectively unusable while I perform the upgrade, so I can't comment on the default geometry presented by pavucontrol in stretch.