Re: Can "PulseAudio Volume Control" devs be redeemed?

On 22.07.17 13:47, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> Erik Christiansen writes:
> > Aha, if the "PulseAudio Volume Control" window is manually widened, the
> > suppressed tabs become visible. Is it then the Debian 9.0.0 distro-smiths
> > who have set too small a window size in their LXDE menu item invocation?
>
> It seems to remember what size it was last started with. So if a user
> decides to make it small and hide stuff, it will remember the user's
> wishes.
>
> Now, the problem is that users don't know what they want, act
> irrational, will never remember what they did earlier (how often does
> one hear "I did nothing, but everything broke"?) and blame everything on
> the software developer. Not to forget some even come up with conspiracy
> theories how Microsoft paid people to make the application window
> smaller ;-)

Firstly, if the window had ever been larger, the 5 tabs would have
shown at least once. They did not at any stage. The word "Configure"
would have been a beacon as I struggled to find configure options.

Secondly, this user did not know that a desktop menu item could be
resized. Until the possibility was raised on list, I considered them
inviolate.

Thirdly, I've had Debian 9.0.0 installed for 2 -3 days now, and with a
monitor nearly a yard wide, I have in that time only enlarged a couple
of uxterms, and set "huge" text size, to better enjoy the wireless
keyboard at range. There has not been any cause for contemplating making
any window smaller.

What we need to do is examine whether the Debian 9.0.0 distro-smith last
had it shrunken, and it is therefore in that condition in the distro.
If we knew what config file contains the menu gumpf, that could perhaps
be revealed, and minimise the need for speculation and supposition.

Erik