Re: Bind 9: consequences of completely removind all bind9 packages on jessie and stretch)?

On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 07:13 Lck Ras <likcoras@riseup.net> wrote:
On 07/23/2017 08:55 PM, Tom Browder wrote:
> I would like to remove all bind9 packages from servers running bind9
> and install the latest bind9 from source.
>
> Two questions, please:
>
> 1.  Will there be any adverse consequences from the substitution if I
> install with --prefix=/usr/local?
>
> 2.  Same question as 1 but for installation into --prefix=usr?

I wouldn't recommend installing int into /usr, since it might conflict
with other files installed by the package manager.

Installing it into /usr/local probably won't create any new problems
(apart from ones inherent with installing stuff manually). Some of the
extra stuff like the systemd units and integration with other packages
may not be included.

On another note, it's not really recommended to install stuff like that.
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian but I assume you know what
you're doing.
Thanks, Lck, that's certainly good advice, and a good link!

I do plan to chroot the binds, so I trust all will work well.

Thanks again.

-Tom