Re: (solved)Re: why network install so slow?

On 7/23/17, Long Wind <longwind2009@gmail.com> wrote:
> china upgrade firewall
>
> i change to ftp.cn.debian.org, it's very quick
>
> it's china's government
> it's president xi

That's good you were able to fix it. A country's government
interfering actually did cross my mind. We're an international list
here. We never know what kind of "censorship" or other interference,
e.g. even eavesdropping, that our fellow list members might be
experiencing at any given moment.

Am writing now to add on something else that also crossed my mind last
night. In my case, I've poked around in not one but two vpn (virtual
private network) [concepts] on my newest setup. I started tinkering a
little with those about a week ago and am *pretty sure* I've disabled
them, but I won't swear to it, grin.

*In my case*, the browser based vpn VERY MUCH slowed things down
immediately. It was so slow that I toggled it right back off, but
things haven't felt 100% back at the previous state ever since.

Anyway, just throwing VPNs out there, both browser based and stand
alone software, as another conscious point to check off one's Internet
speed debug checklist if anyone happens to come across this thread in
the archives. :)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey