Re: Apt-get Upgrade Problem in Stretch?

On Thu, 20 Jul 2017 08:48:17 +0200 Dejan Jocic <jodejka@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 19-07-17, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 13:47:27 -0700 Jimmy Johnson
> > <field.engineer@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > You also have packagekit and discover to deal with and who knows
> > > what else. Stopping auto-install is not that difficult, but
> > > stopping auto-update is a problem.
> >
> > I think you've assumed some things incorrectly.  I did a basic
> > terminal only install with only basic system utilties, the last
> > option on the list.  No Desktop of any kind. No xserver.
> > Packagekit is not installed.  Discover was as a dependency, but I
> > didn't install it explicitly. No auto-install or auto-update
> > either. I converted to sysvinit, but left systemd stuff as
> > dependencies.  Later will install xorg and openbox, etc. for my
> > GUI. This is the same way I installed Wheezy 5 years ago. And it
> > works (and always has) fine.
> >
> > FWIW, a few months ago, I installed Stretch RC2 the same way to
> > test it and everything worked including apt-get update, upgrade,
> > etc.
> >
> > So, something is wrong.  And I won't install it for real until I
> > discover what.

> If you have minimal install, why do you suspect that something is
> wrong, rather to suppose that all is fine and that simply there was
> no security updates for your install? It is stable now, and as far as
> i can remember, all those security updates we did have of lately were
> somehow tied for graphical part, plus apache and ngninx. Apart for
> security updates, tough luck of getting some other updates on stable.
> And "everything worked fine" on your install of Stretch RC2 because
> it was still testing and there was much more updates then?

That was my first thought.  And as I used a Stable net-install disk
for my first tests of Stable, the system would have been up-to-date
after the install. But it's been two weeks since that time.  I've added
X, a window manager, utilities, apps, etc.  Based on my past
experience, historically, there should have been some fixes.  I've
never come across any such new release -- Debian or others -- that
didn't need a plethora of fixes in those few days to a month after.  Or
perhaps Stretch is bug free.  Or as I said in another post: Maybe the
maintainers are taking a vacation.

As far as RC2:  I dist-upgraded it to Stable in the course of my tests.
And as soon as it hit stable, apt-get upgrades ceased producing
anything for a week.  So, I downloaded the Stable net-install CD for a
new install to see if there was any differences.