Apt-get Upgrade Problem in Stretch?

Getting no results from apt-get upgrade after a week.  Can install apps,
etc., but get no security or stretch-update "fixes," etc.  I find
this unusual.  Did a mail list archive search for this, but didn't find
anything specific. Or did I miss the solution?

My Test Setup:

Stretch Stable 64-bit from net-install disk in Virtualbox 5.1 on a
Wheezy host.  Basic terminal install (no GUI), converted to sysvinit
(did not do anything to systemd files. Kept as dependencies) and then
added xorg, openbox window manager, etc.

Thanks for any feedback.