Re: Apt-get Upgrade Problem in Stretch?

On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 13:47:27 -0700 Jimmy Johnson
<field.engineer@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 07/19/2017 01:35 PM, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 20:14:28 +0200 Dejan Jocic <jodejka@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> >> dpkg -s unattended-upgrades
> >
> > Not installed either by me or the installer
> >
> >> If it is installed, it did your updates and security upgrades for
> >> you. If you do not like it and want to do manual updates/upgrades,
> >> do with root privs:
> >
> > I have always done this manually since I first started using Debian
> > (Sarge).  And always will.  This is my personal machine.
> >
> >> sed -i 's/1/0/g' /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/20auto-upgrades
> >>
> >> For further reading and understanding:
> >>
> >> https://wiki.debian.org/UnattendedUpgrades
> >
> > Thanks for the reference.  I've been aware of this for a long time,
> > but chose not to use it.
> >
> > My problem must be something else.
>
> You also have packagekit and discover to deal with and who knows what
> else. Stopping auto-install is not that difficult, but stopping
> auto-update is a problem.

I think you've assumed some things incorrectly.  I did a basic terminal
only install with only basic system utilties, the last option on the
list.  No Desktop of any kind. No xserver.  Packagekit is not
installed.  Discover was as a dependency, but I didn't install it
explicitly. No auto-install or auto-update either. I converted to
sysvinit, but left systemd stuff as dependencies.  Later will install
xorg and openbox, etc. for my GUI. This is the same way I installed
Wheezy 5 years ago. And it works (and always has) fine.

FWIW, a few months ago, I installed Stretch RC2 the same way to test it
and everything worked including apt-get update, upgrade, etc.

So, something is wrong.  And I won't install it for real until I
discover what.