Re: Apt-get Upgrade Problem in Stretch?

Joe Pfeiffer composed on 2017-07-20 15:38 (UTC-0600):

> David Wright  wrote:

>> On Wed 19 Jul 2017 at 14:57:50 (-0400), Felix Miata wrote:

>>> Did you miss that in Stretch apt is preferred to apt-get?

>> I did. Where does it say that?

> The closest thing to that statement I've encountered is in the Debian
> Administrator's Handbook, "apt is a second command-line based front end
> provided by APT which overcomes some design mistakes of apt-get."  It
> doesn't quite say it's preferred, but it does say why the author of the
> handbook thinks it's superior.

> https://debian-handbook.info/browse/stable/sect.apt-get.html
> section 6.2

The handbook paragraph following that quoted above includes this:

	"The most recommended interface, apt,..."

It only says apt is the cmdline interface that followed apt-get, not when it
followed, but I think "overcomes design mistakes of apt-get" is enough to
justify saying that apt is generally preferred to apt-get.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/