Re: Apt-get Upgrade Problem in Stretch?

On Fri 21 Jul 2017 at 00:43:08 (-0400), Felix Miata wrote:
> Joe Pfeiffer composed on 2017-07-20 15:38 (UTC-0600):
>
> > David Wright  wrote:

> >> I did. Where does it say that?
>
> > The closest thing to that statement I've encountered is in the Debian
> > Administrator's Handbook, "apt is a second command-line based front end
> > provided by APT which overcomes some design mistakes of apt-get."  It
> > doesn't quite say it's preferred, but it does say why the author of the
> > handbook thinks it's superior.
>
> > https://debian-handbook.info/browse/stable/sect.apt-get.html
> > section 6.2
>
> The handbook paragraph following that quoted above includes this:
>
> 	"The most recommended interface, apt,..."
>
> It only says apt is the cmdline interface that followed apt-get, not when it
> followed, but I think "overcomes design mistakes of apt-get" is enough to
> justify saying that apt is generally preferred to apt-get.

In §6,2 I actually _can't_ see where the author says it's superior.
I _can_ see that a substitution s/apt-get/apt/ has been made in
the newer version of the handbook (actually published just after
jessie was released) and in stretch's Installation Guide.

For a gloss on the "design mistakes" statement, see
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/270511/how-is-apt-the-new-and-improved-apt-get

Cheers,
David.