Re: Apt-get Upgrade Problem in Stretch?

David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> writes:

> On Wed 19 Jul 2017 at 14:57:50 (-0400), Felix Miata wrote:
>> Patrick Bartek composed on 2017-07-19 10:29 (UTC-0700):
>>
>> > Getting no results from apt-get upgrade after a week.  Can install apps,
>> > etc., but get no security or stretch-update "fixes," etc.  I find
>> > this unusual.  Did a mail list archive search for this, but didn't find
>> > anything specific. Or did I miss the solution?
>>
>> > My Test Setup:
>>
>> > Stretch Stable 64-bit from net-install disk in Virtualbox 5.1 on a
>> > Wheezy host.  Basic terminal install (no GUI), converted to sysvinit
>> > (did not do anything to systemd files. Kept as dependencies) and then
>> > added xorg, openbox window manager, etc.
>>
>> > Thanks for any feedback.
>>
>> Did you miss that in Stretch apt is preferred to apt-get?
>
> I did. Where does it say that?

The closest thing to that statement I've encountered is in the Debian
Administrator's Handbook, "apt is a second command-line based front end
provided by APT which overcomes some design mistakes of apt-get."  It
doesn't quite say it's preferred, but it does say why the author of the
handbook thinks it's superior.

https://debian-handbook.info/browse/stable/sect.apt-get.html
section 6.2

But this whole discussion is a complete red herring.  Whatever the OP's
actual issue, the probability that it has anything to do with apt
vs. apt-get is so low that pretty much everything else should be
considered first.

(not that it matters, but personally I prefer aptitude)