Re: Can debian-live-9.0.1-i386-lxde be made to install from USB?

From: wooledg@eeg.ccf.org

On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 10:55:26AM +0200, Dejan Jocic wrote:
> This release of Debian came with buggy live images. It was fixed with
> 9.0.1 live images, or at least it seemed so.

No, the 9.0.1 Debian live images are still broken when used for
installations. They fail to set a root password or to set up the primary
user account with sudo access, at least in some cases. Users in Freenode
#debian are constantly having to be told how to boot from rescue media
to set the root password.

WHY DO PEOPLE ATTEMPT TO INSTALL DEBIAN USING A LIVE CD IMAGE

ESPECIALLY WHEN IT HASN"T WORKED IN MANY YEARS

GRRRR

Why don"t people use the installer to install?

I just can"t understand.

Because not all people can do a proper installation with everything in their head
and on hardcopies.  Some need some feedback on what is what because only
debianers would understand.  I know, hard for you to even conceive that there
are people who do not know what a logical and an illogical partition is, or what
does it mean to install grub in sda or sda2, or why a root pw can be two letters
in the installer but needs to be 23 letters if you ever change it.  Not all of these
people have a second online system to look things up.  And what the hell is a
mirror and what difference does it make which one it is?  Arch/Manjaro have
a pinging script that determines the fastest repos based on your current actual
connection.  Geography doesn't mean Jack to net-topology, especially outside
the "inner world" the US.  You can have an Isp in spain with a primary cable to
its french subsidiary, and the next building one that connects to Italy.  The
mirror in Spain is connected to a server in Germany, and if you select it it is
three times as slow as the one in France.  And debian is asking the user to
make a choice based on data on their head.  GRRRR

How about live installers and systemD ... is there a connection?
Do I need to say why I think so and why live installers work like a charm
"elsewhere"?  For yearS!

I can too testify that for DEBIAN the only thing they are good for is
to testify that the hardware is installation capable.  That's all.
And this is not always, as there seems plenty of non-free stuff cripping
in those live images to ensure they would start and sell the customer
a service.