Re: Can debian-live-9.0.1-i386-lxde be made to install from USB?

On 18.07.17 08:46, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Afaik, unetbootin unpacks the ISO and replaces the boot loader software.
> Debian discourages its use with live and installation ISOs.
>
> The Debian ISOs for i386 are ready to be simply copied onto the device
> file of the overall USB stick (i.e. to /dev/sdX not to /dev/sdX1).

Ah, they're what's described as a .img on other sites, then. I chose
unetbootin in lieu of a dd copy, based on the .iso suffix.

> After ensuring that /dev/sdd really is the device address of the USB
> stick, you just do
>
>   dd if=debian-live-9.0.1-i386-lxde.iso bs=4M of=/dev/sdd ; sync
>
> See
>   https://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#write-usb

The dd copied the image fine, the Udoo X86 booted on it, and I
began the install. Sadly, it barfed at the same stage - after setting
geographic location and keyboard, the debian 9 install process threw up
a "Detect and mount CD-ROM" screen, insisting on a CD with suitable
install content. It seemed quite unaware that it is installing from USB.

Performing a "continue" and a "skip" returns to the "Debian installer
main menu", with the cursor on "Detect and mount CD-ROM". The dufus
thing is still obsessing about CDs, despite the web page promising that
it can do a USB install.

Are we just up against false advertising? The USB holds ten times what a
CD can, so there's no rational reason for last-century media to be
involved.

I'll wrassle ten years of cabling pile-up on the back half of the desk,
move the Udoo to the near end of the coffee table, and string an
ethernet cable over. Maybe a net install will work.

Erik