Re: Can debian-live-9.0.1-i386-lxde be made to install from USB?

On 18-07-17, Erik Christiansen wrote:
> On 18.07.17 08:46, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> > Afaik, unetbootin unpacks the ISO and replaces the boot loader software.
> > Debian discourages its use with live and installation ISOs.
> >
> > The Debian ISOs for i386 are ready to be simply copied onto the device
> > file of the overall USB stick (i.e. to /dev/sdX not to /dev/sdX1).
>
> Ah, they're what's described as a .img on other sites, then. I chose
> unetbootin in lieu of a dd copy, based on the .iso suffix.
>
> > After ensuring that /dev/sdd really is the device address of the USB
> > stick, you just do
> >
> >   dd if=debian-live-9.0.1-i386-lxde.iso bs=4M of=/dev/sdd ; sync
> >
> > See
> >   https://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#write-usb
>
> The dd copied the image fine, the Udoo X86 booted on it, and I
> began the install. Sadly, it barfed at the same stage - after setting
> geographic location and keyboard, the debian 9 install process threw up
> a "Detect and mount CD-ROM" screen, insisting on a CD with suitable
> install content. It seemed quite unaware that it is installing from USB.
>
> Performing a "continue" and a "skip" returns to the "Debian installer
> main menu", with the cursor on "Detect and mount CD-ROM". The dufus
> thing is still obsessing about CDs, despite the web page promising that
> it can do a USB install.
>
> Are we just up against false advertising? The USB holds ten times what a
> CD can, so there's no rational reason for last-century media to be
> involved.
>
> I'll wrassle ten years of cabling pile-up on the back half of the desk,
> move the Udoo to the near end of the coffee table, and string an
> ethernet cable over. Maybe a net install will work.
>
> Erik

This release of Debian came with buggy live images. It was fixed with
9.0.1 live images, or at least it seemed so. Perhaps you discovered bug
in it that should be reported. Unfortunately, debian live images do not
get much needed love and because of that are not really preferred method
of installing. You should be fine with net install image, or with
regular dvd-1 iso image, be it from usb, or from dvd.