Re: quasi-SOLVED: Re: no network after jessie -> stretch

On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 11:02:10 -0600
"D. R. Evans" <doc.evans@gmail.com> wrote:

> David Wright wrote on 06/24/2017 06:42 PM:
>
> > Do you need the network before your
> > login prompt appears or not? If not, it looks like systemd needs
> > telling that. I think this just came up in a contemporaneous thread
> > here, but in a disk-mounting context rather than networking.
> >

> Well, some remote disk filesystems get mounted at boot time -- so that
> obviously needs a functioning network -- but I have no idea whether
> that happens before the login prompt appears. It is definitely true
> that by the time I am logged in (which is very fast, since I use i3),
> the network is up and running.
>
> I'll go look at the disk-mounting thread and see if there's something
> useful there.

If you don't actually need the remote file systems for the boot process
itself, then systemd has an option to automount fstab entries when
first needed. This can cut down boot time. Include:
	noauto
and
	x-systemd.automount
among the options. I have my workstation's cifs mounts set up that way,
and there's no perceptible delay in opening one for the first time.
They stay mounted then until shutdown. It works for local drives as
well, but they're less of a problem.

--
Joe