no network after jessie -> stretch

I just completed an upgrade to stretch on an i386 machine.

There were no obvious showstopping errors during the install. I saw a few
"unable to delete directory; directory not empty" errors fly by, but nothing
that seemed dangerous, and the installation didn't complain about anything.

But when I tried the reboot following the upgrade, I lost all network
connectivity. The boot screen said:
  Failed to Start Network Manager Wait Online

It also suggested issuing the command:
 systemctl status NetworkManager-wait-online.service
but that merely says unhelpfully :
  "unit entered failed state"
and
  "Failed with result 'exit-code'"

(Sorry for any typing errors... since there's no network connectivity, I have
to retype anything :-( )

Any help in diagnosing, or, even better, fixing the problem will be gratefully
received.

It probably goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway: prior to this
upgrade, the network connectivity was fine (and has been through several
earlier versions of debian).

  Doc

--
Web:  http://enginehousebooks.com/drevans