quasi-SOLVED: Re: no network after jessie -> stretch

D. R. Evans wrote on 06/21/2017 09:53 AM:

> But when I tried the reboot following the upgrade, I lost all network
> connectivity. The boot screen said:
>   Failed to Start Network Manager Wait Online
>
> It also suggested issuing the command:
>  systemctl status NetworkManager-wait-online.service
> but that merely says unhelpfully :
>   "unit entered failed state"
> and
>   "Failed with result 'exit-code'"

At least the network is starting now. To get it working, I ran first ran KDE
instead of my normal i3 desktop, and told the KDE systems settings tool
explicitly that I wanted eth0 to be started and get a DHCP address at startup.
Now eth0 seems to be working properly following reboots (although of course I
really have no idea why it wasn't working before, since I'd made no changes to
a system that has worked perfectly for years).

But the problem with the "Start Network Manager Online" service remains. It
adds about 30 useless seconds to the boot time while the system waits for it
to time out, so it sure would be nice to know how to get rid of the delay somehow.

  Doc

PS In answer to someone's question: I first set up networking on the machine
years ago, when I first installed debian, and at that time I just told the
configuration script during installation that I wanted eth0 to get an address
from DHCP. I've never had to touch it since then until the problem after this
latest upgrade.

--
Web:  http://enginehousebooks.com/drevans