Re: quasi-SOLVED: Re: no network after jessie -> stretch

David Wright wrote on 06/23/2017 08:42 AM:

>> Can anyone provide suggestions as to how to remove this delay?
>
> Did you miss https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2017/06/msg00858.html
> which gave one possibility? It also asked for two things, neither of
> which were forthcoming. I can't find any explicit statement as to
> how you start your network, so any responses have been based on
> guesswork.

Sorry, I thought that my statement about just entering info during the first
installation would supply the requested information. Here is a bit more
detail, formatted as a response to
<[🔎] d06d3b16-9c47-5e1e-b747-4859bc5bec33@debian.org>:

> Please share more details about your network configuration.

I'm not sure what details are needed. I input the information once, long ago,
telling debian to use DHCP on eth0. I have not touched anything
network-related since then. If you have a specific question in mind, please
let me know and I'll try to answer it.

> Do you use ifupdown to manage your interface, NetworkManager, something
> else?

I have no idea. I boot the system, and it works. I know that sounds snide and
like I'm being an idiot, but it's the truth: once I had input the information
when first installing debian, it all just worked and I never had to know
anything about what debian was doing under the hood. Whatever the default was
prior to stretch, I assume that that's what I was using.

(The version of debian on the system has always been plain debian stable,
whichever version was the official stable at the time.)

> The error message above indicates, that you have network-manager
> installed and since stretch NetworkManager-wait-online.service is
> enabled by default (it wasn't in jessie).
>
> Now, if you don't actually manage your interfaces with NetworkManager,
> NetworkManager-wait-online.service might run into a timeout (of 30s).
>
> The output nmcli might be helpful.

Now that eth0 is working properly, I can provide the output from nmcli without
having to type it all :-) :

----

n7dr@shack:~/projects/drlog$ nmcli
eth0: connected to Wired connection 1
        "Realtek RTL-8100/8101L/8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter"
        ethernet (8139too), 00:13:D4:93:04:FB, hw, mtu 1500
        ip4 default
        inet4 192.168.0.50/24
        inet6 fe80::e6ec:1d58:4ed2:9964/64

eth1: disconnected
        "Winbond Electronics W89C940"
        1 connection available
        ethernet (ne2k-pci), 00:20:78:19:8E:AF, hw, mtu 1500

lo: unmanaged
        loopback (unknown), 00:00:00:00:00:00, sw, mtu 65536

DNS configuration:
        servers: 192.168.0.1
        interface: eth0

Use "nmcli device show" to get complete information about known devices and
"nmcli connection show" to get an overview on active connection profiles.

Consult nmcli(1) and nmcli-examples(5) manual pages for complete usage details.
n7dr@shack:~/projects/drlog$

----

  Doc

--