Re: [A bit OT] Diagnosing home network

On Sunday 21 May 2017 12:58:05 rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

> On Saturday, May 20, 2017 09:38:21 AM Gene Heskett wrote:
> > You'll note no mention of wifi here as its turned off unless I have
> > children visiting with their smart phones.  wifi is slower, and
> > subject to being used by the neighbors as I found my net usage after
> > the kids had been in was up about 80 Gb a month later.
>
> You know there are security measures available for WiFi, right?  I do
> two things, I use one of the more advanced encryption protocols
> (something like WPA-2 (and maybe some more initials at the end??),
> and, I have it setup so that it doesn't announce its presence--only if
> someone knows the name can they try to enter a password and login.

As of the last time, the SSID broadcast had been turned of, WPA-2+AES was
the effective login protocol with a 23 character password .  That didn't
appear to much of an impediment, so I just turned the radios off.

First, they came in thru the buffalo I'm looking at, then they came in
thru the pi's radio when it came online, which was still set at the
default jessie on a pi settings.  I've got cat5 enough to connect
everything I want on-line up. I assume one can buy for a winders box,
some sort of a utility that can survey the band, and hack into the
strongest signal it can find in a time frame thats 0.0000000000001% of
what the cryptographers claim. So I take the ultimate hammer to it by
turning off my radios.  Making a wifi connection work like a wired
connection is a major PITA.  I had my lappy rigged, about 6 feet from my
lathe, and I'd have to login fresh about every 5 minutes. 9 feet from a
dongle plugged into the lappy to a matching dongle plugged into the
buildings hub?  Life, remaining life anyway since I'm working on my 83rd
trip around this star, is too short for that BS.  Screw it, its
extremely distracting when your train of thought is on writing gcode for
the lathes next cnc operation.  Plug it in and be done with that BS.  So
I do.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)