Re: If Linux Is About Choice, Why Then ...

Jonathan Dowland:
> On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 04:40:00PM +0000, GiaThnYgeia wrote:
>> As for the other post you commented on with the same attitude I would
>> have to say that getting technical in comparing sysv with competing
>> technologies does not answer the political part of the decision making.
>> It seems as this part is what irritated people not the technical aspects
>> of it.  Unless there are those that pretend the decision making process
>> was solely on technical merits.
>
> The decision to switch the default init to systemd was made by the Tech
> Committee. You can read the history of that decision here
>
> 	https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=727708
>
> There's also a related General Resolution that was written, adapted and
> voted on by Debian members. The full details of that are here
>
> 	https://www.debian.org/vote/2014/vote_003
>
> As for "who", 483 Debian Developers voted, as listed here
>
> 	https://www.debian.org/vote/2014/vote_003_voters.txt
>
> All this stuff is in the open for anyone to read and catch up on. I
> hope you find it enlightening.

All I read is where the money goes that get donated "officially" to
debian.  Let me ask about the cost of servers/repositories for all the
non-free packages.  Whose decision goes there?
Do you folk mean to tell me that at this point Debian does not have the
power to influence industry by selecting to support only hardware with
open/free firmware?  Isn't it superficial to say we are "for" free but
we run hundreds of servers supplying "users" with non-free stuff?
What, the customer is a priority?  80% of users would have no support
running around with a portable device and some wifi that incorporates
chips from a tiny oligopoly?  Are we talking about meritocracy or
marketing?  It is a very different approach you know.

I suspect such decision making has a value!  We don't live in a free
world.  How many did you say?  483 developers, from how many contributors?

Ohh.... I am enlightened alright!
Show me the money honey, and save me the "constitution" preaching.

--
 "The most violent element in society is ignorance" rEG

"Who died and made you the superuser?"  Brooklinux