Re: If Linux Is About Choice, Why Then ...

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 6:17 PM, GiaThnYgeia <GiaThnYgeia@openmailbox.org> wrote:

Do you folk mean to tell me that at this point Debian does not have the
power to influence industry by selecting to support only hardware with
open/free firmware?

No, Debian does not have that power. There are no technical issues involved in
that state of affairs, only economic issues.

Isn't it superficial to say we are "for" free but
we run hundreds of servers supplying "users" with non-free stuff?

IMO that is a valid complaint "about" Debian, but the complaint cannot
validly be laid at Debian's doorstep. It has everything to do with the point
you make later in your posting about the "tiny oligopoly" of hardware
manufacturers. You just haven't (yet) drawn all of the valid conclusions
from that valid observation.