Re: If Linux Is About Choice, Why Then ...

Please excuse the intrusion, on another thread Felix Miata says:
Re: Old 32bit PC 650kRam less VidMem 1024x768 will not run on Stretch ok
on Jessie

> Debian-user is a user support forum, not a developer forum:
> For bug fixes and policy modifications debian-user is the wrong place
> for more than passing discussion. I suggest other avenues:

Ask me why I think the two threads may be related

tomas@tuxteam.de:
> On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 04:13:48PM +0200, Nicolas George wrote:
>> Le primidi 21 germinal, an CCXXV, tomas@tuxteam.de a écrit :
>>> SysV init is broken because it has no process monitoring? No.
>>> Process monitoring isn't in its scope.
>
>> Your other arguments make sense, but sorry, this one does not. The
>> process with PID one is the only immortal process on the system, and
>> adopts all orphan processes. For that reason, any kind of process
>> monitoring, if it needs reliability, must be rooted in PID 1. And in
>> turn, that makes process monitoring in scope for any project that aims
>> to implement a program for PID 1.
>
> Runit works. Think about how :-)
>
> (And yes, double-forking trickery fools it. Don't do that then. Most
> daemons have a command line option for that, and those that dont...
> after all, you have to "fix" daemons to let them participate in systemd's
> socket activation party too, don't you?
>
> regards
> -- t

The way I see things is that there are long-time server administrators
who refuse to leave their pre-systemd platforms no matter what.
There are "users" on Jessie where Jessie has 4 times the open bug
reports than testing.  For a second month under freeze not much
development can take place in unstable, as it is really tomorrow's
testing.  All Stretch seems to be is Jessie with linux4 solving 75% of
its bugs, meanwhile the current old-stable will no longer be supported.
Meamwhile, there are critical bugs still open on testing from last year.

Has Debian always been this crazy and am I so new to this madness?

--
 "The most violent element in society is ignorance" rEG

"Who died and made you the superuser?"  Brooklinux