Re: If Linux Is About Choice, Why Then ...

On Mon 10 Apr 2017 at 21:21:00 (+0000), GiaThnYgeia wrote:
> Please excuse the intrusion, on another thread Felix Miata says:
> Re: Old 32bit PC 650kRam less VidMem 1024x768 will not run on Stretch ok
> on Jessie
>
> > Debian-user is a user support forum, not a developer forum:
> > For bug fixes and policy modifications debian-user is the wrong place
> > for more than passing discussion. I suggest other avenues:
>
> Ask me why I think the two threads may be related
>
> tomas@tuxteam.de:
> >
> >> Your other arguments make sense, but sorry, this one does not. The
> >> process with PID one is the only immortal process on the system, and
> >> adopts all orphan processes. For that reason, any kind of process
> >> monitoring, if it needs reliability, must be rooted in PID 1. And in
> >> turn, that makes process monitoring in scope for any project that aims
> >> to implement a program for PID 1.
> >
> > Runit works. Think about how :-)
> >
> > (And yes, double-forking trickery fools it. Don't do that then. Most
> > daemons have a command line option for that, and those that dont...
> > after all, you have to "fix" daemons to let them participate in systemd's
> > socket activation party too, don't you?
> >
> > regards
> > -- t
>
> The way I see things is that there are long-time server administrators
> who refuse to leave their pre-systemd platforms no matter what.
> There are "users" on Jessie where Jessie has 4 times the open bug
> reports than testing.

This ratio should increase as the release date approaches, because
the developers are squashing bugs. That's how ratios work: reducing
the denominator increases the ratio.

> For a second month under freeze not much
> development can take place in unstable, as it is really tomorrow's
> testing.

What do you mean? Sid (unstable) is always sid. It doesn't suddenly
become buster (the next testing) when stretch is released.

> All Stretch seems to be is Jessie with linux4 solving 75% of
> its bugs, meanwhile the current old-stable will no longer be supported.

That depends on the architecture. Most of us will see support for
wheezy until at least May next year.

> Meamwhile, there are critical bugs still open on testing from last year.
>
> Has Debian always been this crazy and am I so new to this madness?

If you don't like it, you're free to look elsewhere for a distribution
that better suits you.

Cheers,
David.