Re: Stretch stable and jessie testing - repositories listed

On Fri 10 Feb 2017 at 16:00:13 (-0800), Jimmy Johnson wrote:
> On 02/09/2017 04:58 PM, GiaThnYgeia wrote:

> >In most cases documents simplify that stretch is testing, so I thought
> >there was no difference, then something I read recently made me think
> >once stretch becomes stable I would be bumped up a notch. Elsewhere I
> >read that once you are up the ladder the only way to backtrack is to
> >reinstall.
>
> Hello,
> Take a look at Synaptic Menu you can select a package and then go to
> Package > Force Version, you can only force one package at a time
> but, yes you can downgrade. I can down grade a couple hundred
> packages without much problem, depends on the user.

Oh, that's heartening! Does Synaptic use a different method
from dpkg? The man page for the latter says (and the warnings
look very pretty in red):

 --force-things, --no-force-things, --refuse-things

  [...]

  Warning: These options are mostly intended to be used by experts
  only. Using them without fully understanding their effects  may
  break your whole system.

  [...]

  downgrade(*):  Install a package, even if newer version of it is
  already installed.

  Warning: At present dpkg does not do any dependency checking  on
  downgrades  and  therefore  will  not  warn you if the downgrade
  breaks the dependency of some other package. This can have seri‐
  ous  side  effects,  downgrading essential system components can
  even make your whole system unusable. Use with care.

Cheers,
David.