Re: Stretch stable and jessie testing - repositories listed

On Thursday 09 February 2017 16:28:39 Daniel Bareiro wrote:
> Hi, Katrin.
>
> On 09/02/17 13:09, GiaThnYgeia wrote:
> >> Here is a jessie source:
> >> deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ jessie main non-free contrib
> >> Here is a stretch source:
> >> deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free
> >
> > But I have http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main
> >
> > and don't change it what will happen?
>
> If you do not wish to change that line, you will remain being always in
> the "testing" branch.
>
> If you change "testing" to "stretch", for the moment you will be in the
> "testing" branch and then, when "stretch" becomes stable, you will stay
> in the stable branch.
>

> Kind regards,
> Daniel

Katrin,

Greg could indeed have been more polite.  I'm afraid that happens on the users
list sometimes.  I believe the phrase is "If you can't stand the heat, get
out of the kitchen".

But to do him justice, your original email is not far short of totally
incomprehensible.  I simply did not understand it.  Having read the thread so
far, I think I vaguely get the picture.  I too dislike Synaptic, but your
question does not seem to apply to Synaptic.  Ir appears to refer to Debian
version, whichever package manager you happen to have chosen.

So let's start at the beginning.

What exactly does your sources.list currently say?  (/etc/apt/sources.list)

Please copy and paste it.

You wish, I think, to go to/remain on Stretch?  But you refer to being on
Debian 7 which is Wheezy?  Are you talking about two different computers?

Please, some clarity if you want help.

Lisi